Tesla registered 8 of every 10 EVs in the U.S. in 2020

Almost 8 out of every 10 electric cars registered in the U.S. were built by Tesla. New data from Automotive News reveals that Tesla has ownership of 79% of the total EVs registered in the U.S. in 2020, leaving a meager 21% for the other car manufacturers to share between themselves.

This massive domination is also followed by somewhat obvious hunch: Tesla’s four currently-offered electric cars made up four of the top five spots. With the Chevy Bolt EV taking third, the Model 3, Model Y, Model X, and Model S took first, second, fourth, and fifth place, respectively.

How Tesla dominated the U.S. EV sector

It is an open secret that Tesla is the king of the EV sector across the world. With its industry-leading software, battery tech, and performance specifications, anyone who intends to buy an electric car will most likely look to Tesla.

U.S. consumers assent to this, especially given that almost 80% of all electric vehicles in the United States in 2020 were Manufactured by the Elon Musk-led company.

Tesla’s models that took the top five spots in 2020 as per the data include; Tesla’s Model 3 leading at 95,135 registrations, Model Y in the second spot at 71,344 registrations, the Model X taking the fourth spot with 19,652 registrations and finally the Model S occupying the fifth spot at 14,430 registrations.

Chevy Bolt EV which trailed the second-place Model Y recorded 51,680 units registrations.

It is not surprising that Tesla’s most affordable cars; the Model 3 and Model Y, dominated the table. The Model Y and Model 3 are similar with the same overall look and interior design.

Growth spurred by manufacturing

Tesla saw a 16% rise in vehicle registrations in 2020 when compared to 2019. The growth in the U.S market is attributed to the increase in the electric car models offered by the Company.

The Model Y eventually gave Tesla the opportunity to compete in the highly-competitive crossover SUV market.

With more people believing that electric powertrains are the way to go, Tesla should project increases in the foreseeable future. However, the company will have to manage rising demand, potentially through a series of production plant projects. We hear that one is already in motion in Austin, as Giga Texas nears its first production runs slated for this Summer.


SEO content expert. Product Management enthusiast. A smile that can light up the universe.

Related post

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.